1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Big Timber in New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by curtisfarmer, Jan 8, 2010.

1. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

Here are some shots, I will try to upload video too, may need smome help, of us cutting large white pine on our farm in New Hampshire. This was our 4th cut in 9 years. On this cut we harvested some 100 MBF on just 8-10 acres. TimberPro 630 with intermitent Quadco head. Some of the trees are over 130'.

:usflag:

OK, tried uploading MVI files, no luck. Any suggestions, I have cool vids to share.

IMG_6768.jpg

IMG_6769.jpg

IMG_6383.jpg

IMG_6399.jpg

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

COOL PICS:weightlifter:

3. curtisfarmer

Here is some from 2007, our 3rd cut. Who says we don't have big logs out here? I had these milled, I cut 20 MBF (4 tractor trailer loads) of the biggest logs, we got some 28" wide boards:clapping:

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

very awesome pics!!!

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I have never seen a feller buncher on rubber tires before it is even a skidder.

Where feller bunchers go around here you need tracks your working on litterally 45 degree slopes. Takes nerves of steel to run a buncher around here.

What a buncher can do in one day takes 2-3 days hand falling with 3 fallers.

Some trees still have to be hand felled a buncher won't cut a 48 inch diamter tree unless you snap it off.

6. oakhillslandscaping

oakhillslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

sweet pics. what part of NH you out of. i recognized kents truck

7. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

nice pictures, I've always like seeing logging equipment. This is one of the biggest logs l've ever seen cut where I live.

n1143177625_30410885_6080427.jpg

8. curtisfarmer

Dirtman, that is about our upper limit here too. They do get bigger, but if you cannot run it thru the chipper, why bother. I have some cool videos of slicing stuff like your size logs upper length wise with the TimberPro to make it fit in chipper....very cool. I also have videos of using a shear to cut something like that down, I see a handcut wedge in yours, are all those hand falls?

Anyone wanna help me upload. I have standard MVI files from my camera but cannot figure how to upload. Do I need to go thru YouTube?

9. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

yes load them on to youtube then just post the link so we can watch them. sounds interesting!

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mean run through a chipper ?

You guys would chip a tree the size that Chris is sitting on ?

Any tree that can't be turned into lumber here is turned into firewood waste not want not. Any thing that is 12 inches and smaller in diamter that is straight is usually kept for poles for fences you strip the bark off.