Cutting Cat Tails....What to use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JayD, Oct 5, 2010.

1. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Hi guys,

Does any one know what works for cutting cat tails down? Yes, I did a search but never really saw anything...

I was looking at getting an attachment for one of my trimmers that takes a blade for cutting thick stuff...

Any help?

2. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Ryobi Expand-it trimmer with the quick attachments just for this kind of job. I put the little triangle brush cutter on it and it saws right through the big stuff around my pond. I picked it up at Discount Tools Outlet for about $80 and if I trip in the mud and water, no real loss. I love the DTO for throw away trimmers and such, and the inexpensive attachments are a plus. Then when someone asks to borrow a tool, they get the Ryobi, funny, as it has worked great with no issues for a couple of years.

3. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

hedge trimmer attachment on a split boom. We cut through burdock with this.

4. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

I just used a shindawia today with the chain saw type blade on it. I was cutting near the edge of a lake where there was a lot of cat tails and brush up to a half inch thick. It works very well but the blade doesnt stay sharp very long

5. JayD

Hedge trimmer attachment? I don't think I have ever seen this humm, I'll have to try to look this up to see what it looks like.

6. Grass Shark

Grass Shark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7

you may want to get some cat nip to make it easier

knife.jpg

:laugh: :hammerhead: :laugh: :hammerhead: :laugh: :hammerhead:

knife.jpg

7. JayD

LMAO.....that's funny! I thought about looking for a machete....

8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

If above water a grass blade n your trimmer should work, if below I seen a machine that was like a hegde trimmer but the gear box was on the middle of the bar with 10 foot long shaft connected to a small 5horse engine. It loke like a hammer head shark but mowed down aquatic plants.

9. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a brush cutting disk that goes under the trimmer spool on my Stihl string trimmer.....Works great. Cat tail will grow back, unless you pull out the root....BTW certain parts of the cat tail are edible!

10. Grass Shark

Grass Shark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7

be careful sticking a cutter in the water.... you never know what could be under there.... pipe wires etc