cutting commercial props at odd times?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Mar 17, 2006.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

do any of you maintain your commercial properties at odd times. we started our clean ups monday, and already its been a PITA with the few i have.
    today, while mulching some beds, the traffic in the lot was horrible. trying to sneak a wheel barrel around cars, and clean up with a blower. the thing is, these ones i have open at like 5:30 am, and close around midnight. there is a Dunkin Donuts in each of them that gets heavy traffic.
    the only option i really see is super early, but rationally thinking, that sounds rediculous. any opinion?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Well we don't have any donut places, but logically, I wouldn't think the best time to do a donut place would be in the morning. I would think that would be their busiest time when people were stopping to pick up their goodies for breakfast before work. Not a lot you can do except test out different times of the day to see when the donut business seems slower. I would think somewhere around 3pm for that particular account may be a good time.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

There is a landscaper here (that mows as well) that does out Walmart, Lowes, ect. Walmart is the worst, they are open 24 hours a day. Once in a great while I will be up LATE and will run to walmart and sure enough someone will be there at midnight or 1:00 am mowing and trimming!

I know another LCO who mows our Applebees, or at least he has one of his employees do it, at around 11:00 or 12:00 at night on tuesdays I believe... Another has a WAM and has a guy that mows large commercial properties in the middle of the night all the time.

I think night mowing would be great, just because of the lack of SUN. It would be so much cooler and easier on you and the equipment. Just have to have enough light to work...

I have wanted to cut a couple at night before but everything I have, even commercial, is too close to houses. I KNOW my mower would piss some people off!

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i've cut my lawn in the dark before with the lights on my Z it was plenty light enough to work. You can actually see where you've cut quite well.

5. Greenboy25

Greenboy25 LawnSite Member

Did you try a weekend morning yet? I know the donut shop would get busy but most likely later in the morning from the church goers and not people heading to work.

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

This reminds me of one time, I got behind because of rain, so I mowed a commercial account at like 8:00 on a Saturday night. It was back an industrial park, where on Saturday nights, there not another single person back there, so it didn't matter.

7. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

we just bid on a decent sized school district 75+ acres they want it mowed only on weekends or after 3 during the week, it will be interesting to see if we win..

8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i have been at these lots at all hours of the night and morning, over the years cuz i do the snow plowing there. these places are always busy. plowing with cars in the way is considerably harder:hammerhead:
    i'm going to get there 6 a.m. next week, and see how it is. i can't see going there earlier.

Jodi,
    i've been there between 2-3 p.m. a few times. there is a train station near by, and a High school. it becomes mobbed with rambucious teens walking from the school to the train. they don't care what you are doing... cutting, blowing, plowing... they'll walk right through whatever you are doing. i mean hundreds of kids.

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've got 3 car dealers, that I'll usually mow after 10 pm at night.

There's no one there, and I hate cruising along with the mower, paying attention so I don't damage a vehicle, and all of a sudden a kid or person walks around the corner of a vehicle they're looking at.

Also, the 2 Wal-Marts I do, along with 1 strip mall, they're nowhere near residential areas, and are lit up quite well, so if I'm behind, I can get started around 2-3 am, because there's enough work where it's all lit up, and then when the sun comes up, I can finish the rest.

Shoot, I've mowed for 30 hours straight in the past when there's been 4 days of rain in a row.

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

shoot, there goes my idea. :nono: