Cutting Corners... Literally!

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by Chris Wagner, May 18, 2006.

1. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Places with a lot of foot traffic, how do you combat the corners of the turf that get cut across?

I fight with this every year. I repair for the spring & summer months, but after the winter with them cutting corners when the ground is a like a sponge, it has no chance.

Ideas?

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Do like Michigan State University does. When they build a new building, they just put in grass everywhere but the main building entrances. The students then walk across the grass and wear it down to the dirt. That is where the additional sidewalks go in at. In your case, put concrete in at the corners.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

We have concreted and and bricked to "round-off" the edges. but you give then an extra food, and before you know it, they are still cutting the corner.

I have all but given up....

here is several pics I took from 120' high reach two days ago while they were setting up the chairs for commencement. you can see a couple of dirty corners......Bythe time they are done they will have 10K chairs set up and you wont beable to see any grass except in the aisles.

grad06small.jpg

4. Chris Wagner

I was thinking of trying some brick on a few of the corners to see what effect that has.

The renovation in spring lasts through the fall... but it's the dormant grass in the winter time and the traffic then that wipes that work out.

I think Notre Dame did the same thing with traffic. They waited to see where the studnets walked the most and added extra concrete.

I was honestly hoping for a few secrets, but I suppose it's just something we deal with.

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

In the above case what I see is simply poor design. Look at where the entrance is and then ask yourself why di dthey angle it that way and not put in a more direct access sidewalk?

6. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Rope it off and get some high traffic turf to grow in those places.....then once its healthy take down the ropes!

7. Chris Wagner

That's a fix for the growing season... Spring through Fall... but no matter how well kept, winter traffic mats it down and kills it. I've tried high traffic seed, I've tried sod, I've seeded bluegrass. Too much compaction in the winter.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

and of course the ice melt doesn't help either...

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Ever try a switch to potassium chloride??

10. Chris Wagner

Nope, the salt doesn't help... but we use primarily Safe Step... mostly KCl.