cutting dandlines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by str400ex, Apr 17, 2006.

1. str400ex

str400ex LawnSite Member

Not sure if I spelled correct or not but im having a problem geting them cut the first pass with my 223 hopper, talked to a scagg owner today and he said the same thing you get part of them but not all the stem any help would be great im tired of double mowing for them . Thanks Shawn Reardon

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

might be underpowered the 23 horse.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Sharp blades, cut low and slow down.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I'm with you. We have to slow down in order to get them all cut.

5. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Spray them. No really good way this time a year. Theyll pop up 2 days later anyway.

6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have had this problem with all mowers regardless of brand or type. Slowing down, sharp blades, and double cutting all help, but never seem to get them all. Same thing with other weeds. Even if you cut them, they always seem to be at a different height than the grass. Grassyfrass has the right idea about getting rid of them or any weed for that matter. You have to if you want a nice uniform lawn.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Bet you are running those Gator blades on the Hopper... no?

I was talking to another LCO today who had just finished cutting with his and I'd swear it didn't cut a single friggin one of them LOL... He decided to spray them.

8. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

you should be upselling weed control. You cut those kind of yards, and you have tall Dandilions the next day or two. Get a backpack sprayer with some 2-4-d (after your pesticice license, of course) and spot spray.

9. str400ex

str400ex LawnSite Member

thanks for the help I live in the country so there is not many people wanting there lawns sprayed. My hopper doesnt have any probs with grass it is just those stupid weeds , have to double mow im using High lifts

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to play with a little bit and see if you can get something dialed in. Bottom line though, if they are not being treated, your people will have to just deal with them. You just tell them that your machine is not designed to cut weeds......it cuts grass beautifully,...but not weeds. I can tell you your problem is NOT your 23 hp engine. Now, what I meant by play with them a little bit, is to try some different things. I'd really rather not cut down lower, as this only makes the overall weed problem worse. I'm not too sure about dandelions, but we had found that with some certain weeds (on our industrial sites), plantain especially, that if we slowed the blades down a bit, they would actually cut better. Now again, this was with plantain (they grow that thn spaghetti type stem later in the year).