Cutting dead weight: old equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by zechstoker, Jan 9, 2013.

1. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question, and it's probably a dumb one. What do you guys do with old equipment that's collecting dust, and it doesn't sell when you put it on craigslist or ebay? I imagine this isn't a really common problem, but it's one I'm dealing with at the moment.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

It depends on what it is.

3. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

For my situation, it's an old and cheap chainsaw.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. HPI_Savage25

HPI_Savage25 LawnSite Member

Hold onto it. Even If its something ill never use again I will try I sell it. If I can't sell it I will normally pull of the carb (never hurts to hold onto them for something else you may can use it for something else or for parts). The rest can go to the metal recycling center and I just wait till I have a truck load
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

You could always chop the machines up and sale it in parts on ebay. I know a guy that does this and sales literally every part of the machine after cleaning it up. This does take some time and you have to keep relisting. However, at some point, someone, somewhere, will be looking for what you need. He often makes double what the normal CL price would be.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Craigslist.

7. a clear difference lawn

a clear difference lawn LawnSite Senior Member

If I can't sell it I give my old stuff to my dealer. Not sure what they do with them but good dealer karma is never a bad thing.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i never get rid of anything most of my equiptment is 20yrs old

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

He gives it to me....thanks. I just got a 21" snapper that a customer wouldn't approve the repair and left it at dealer. I spent about two hours and $10 and got a pretty good running walkbehind. I hang around the dealer ever week and get a lot of good stuff. I got a like new blower that had raw gas run in it and no warranty. I got about $150 of parts when I tore it down. It even had bearings and seals that were good.

10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I don't like to get rid of anything either.