Cutting directions with ztr's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EH909, Jun 29, 2013.

1. EH909

EH909 LawnSite Member

When using your ride on mowers do you change direction and patterns every week or keep it the same? We have an old guy that lives at a complex we cut and the one strip out side his place is like 300' long and 8' wide and he's complaining lately that we need to change the our patterns for the health of the grass (way to time consuming when its a two passes on the 60"). Just got me thinking about larger areas and what you all do. Push mowers we try to change the pattern every week. Wide open areas we try to change up patterns on the Ztr too but still try to keep 180's minimal. What's your takes?

2. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

For that guy situation you could always try to move your mower about of half the deck width over. That seemed to help me out a lot. But personally I try to change it up every week.

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

LCO like the look of a stripe and don't care what they are doing to the lawn.
    I never mow same way twice in same month My stripes fade away after a week and most time I never run same track at all.
    I took over a HomeDepot store and since it open 6yrs the guy mowed it 2 ways in same track with a grass hopper and that lawn so rutted. So bad you have to watch how you walk or you could twist your ankle.

What I do one week 60'' will mow and next week 72'' will mow the borders. So off set the tracks on the borders

4. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Make a snake pattern alternate it each week to look like a figure eight if that makes sense. Use your lightest ztr too. Im looking at BB CZT Elite 60 inch because it has a narrower wheel base and combined with the extra trim side and light weight I can move over so as not to ride in the rut, also only 980 lbs

5. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 LawnSite Bronze Member

we switch it up every week whether it be a zturn walk behind or push mower

6. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I change it up every week when I can. That 8 foot section you talk about can only be mowed 1 way, but open areas are done 4 different ways a month no matter how time consuming

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That 8' strip can be done in long angular lines/passes every other week, and can be changed form one angle to the other on alternate weeks of cutting on the angle. It won't take that much longer to do, and will make the strip look better over time.

8. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa