Cutting Door Hangers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DSLND, Jan 14, 2008.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

I normally print off my own doorhangers, two per page from MS Word. But i always find myself cutting them poorly with my paper cutter. Is there any other type of machine that would make this easier (perhaps a better designed paper cutter)?

Anybody ever just hire a printing company to just cut the doorhangers?

Thanks!

-Mitch

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure if you took them to a place like Officemax, Office Depot, or some place like that, they would do them pretty cheap for you...Afterall, it's just the cutting.

3. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

plus for the cost of your printer ink they would probably be able to print quite a few for ya !!!

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

to get good cuts on larger qty of paper you need a guillotine style. the lever style , once you get more than a few pieces deep starts moving the paper around and tearing it.

I would think that by the time you printed the flyers, drove to Kinko's, paid for them to cut the flyers, and drove back home, between your time, ink, and money paid out. you are probably better off having someone make up the hangers for you.

5. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I had office depot cut mine before. I wasn't a big cost or effort.

The problem with DIY doorhangers is in order to run them through a printer, you have to get fairly thin ones and they are not very good. Also unless you have a "laser" printer the ink jet is ruined with any moisture.

i probably wont do it again.

6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

1. A ream of paper can be quickly cut with a bandsaw with the finest tooth blade you can find. Sandwich the ream between 2 1/2" boards, and clamp securely.
    2. Nebs can print you doorhangers with a hook on one end very economically.

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Staples. 1 dollar per cut, up to 100 sheets I think. so, to make one cut on 100 sheets to make 200 hangers, it will cost you a dollar.

8. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys, I used to sell office printers so take my advice. To use a typical destop printer it cost basically .15-.29 a page depending on if you use color or black and white. Now, even though you are printing in black, you may actually be using all of your color to make black and not be using your black ink which is no different than printing in color. So, it is basically costing you just in ink ~.25 a page, not including paper, and your time. You are better off having someone else at a print shop print them. Plus, to all of you fortunate enough to have an actual office and have copier salesmen pitch you but think it is cheaper to just keep buying desktop printers, it is not! You can get a new printer, copier, scanner, fax all in one with ink and a service agreement for what you may be spending on ink and toner alone for crappy desktops depending on your volume.

9. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Staples is $2.00 per cut now...

10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Just have them printed for you. I used psprint.com.