Cutting down a tree

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcs, Mar 26, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

I got a job today to cut down a 30 foot tree. It has about a 24" stump. It's not near anything. How much would you charge to cut it down and haul it away?
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

That seems like a big stump for a 30' tree. My guess would be around $125 - $175. Not including grinding the stump.
  3. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

That's just a guess on the size of the tree.
  4. SodFather

SodFather LawnSite Member

What kind of tree? I would charge $150-$200 just to take it down plus dump fee's, plus the stump grinding. My price would be around $350.
  5. CandJ

CandJ LawnSite Member

I had a tree about the same size in my front yard and had quotes for around $1200. It was by some wires tho.

I eventually had it cut down by a contractor who cut 16 trees at my neighbor's house, and he did it for only $300. He did tell me he was getting spanked on his estimate for the total job. I don't know what he charged my neighbor, tho.
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What kind of tree is it? Hickory is vicious on chainsaw blades. Take into account how hard the wood is when placing your bid.
  7. i would say if it is just a stick and you can drop it... which it most likely is for a 2' dbh 30' tree... unless it is a tree that has been topped... heaven forbid. but if it can just be dropped- lets say um 250 to cut it down and haul away the wood. then go and take the wood and split it and sell it. for the stump? maybe 100 to grind? 4$ per inch. and the tree itself - 100 per hour to cut down and chip and 150 per dump truck load of wood you have to take out. 50 per pickup truck, plus time to haul at a lower rate.
  8. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

thanks for the ideas on price. I'm not sure what kind of tree it is. I think it may be some sort of fruit tree.
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

As simple as it sounds.60 dollars gets it down and cut up.
    As for hauling it,depends on what kind of wood.In other words can I USE IT.
  10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey AWM! For that price...get your bags packed! I'll pay your airfare to the Philadelphia...I've got about 15 in my backyard I want cut down. ;)

Cut down 3 (60'+) last Saturday and cut into logs for splitting to use as heat next way Jose on the $60. Took me all day and now I have to split it! Estimate I got for cutting same trees was $175/tree on up to $275 when they got close to house.