Cutting down grasses?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mkwl, Nov 16, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a few clients who have decorative grasses (ablot 4-5' tall) in their shrub beds. I am wondering if I can cut them down for the winter. I don't want to cut them down, then have 'em die in the spring!

Thanks,
    Matt

2. 6ofus

6ofus LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Mkwl- Cut Them Down, They Will Not Die.

3. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea cut em down, get a big bungy to wrap around them cut across the bottem, less mess.

Jeff

4. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

hedge clippers work good, with a rope tied around them

5. bbpropmaint

bbpropmaint LawnSite Member

I cut my customers grasses down in the spring time, i personally like the way they look with snow on them...I also incorporate this into my spring clean up pricing...

6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

If you have 2 guys and a barrel you can have one guy hold the grass up in a bunch and the other guy cuts the bottom with hedge trimmers. Once its cut straight into the barrel. Watch out for helpers fingers and toes. This works pretty good. Had a property with over 30 grasses to cut every year. You can even do it in the winter if you get a break in the snow just for some extra cash. Good winter work.:D

7. greeneyes

greeneyes LawnSite Member

It depends on the customer & location. They can look great thru the winter with the snow, but if you wait too long in the spring to cut them back, you could be cutting at the new growth. Butterfly bushes, russian sage & others have to be cut back in late winter, early spring, so I usually do it then.

8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

When you say hedge trimmer, so you mean manual ones, or gas powered?

9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

GAS powered

10. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Even though they're brown, they still have an asthetic quality. Cut them back in the early Spring, in March.