Cutting Edge

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wanabe, May 3, 2007.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I am looking for a bolt on edge to go on my CF 60" ditching bucket. Is still has a very good edge, just need one to bolt on to save the bucket. Local dealer can get one, but they seem to be very proud of it. Is there any good aftermarket ones? Or should I just go with the one from Central Fabricators? Thanks!
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You can have a cutting edge made out of strip of T-1 steel and have the edge and some recessed bolt holes drilled or you can weld the cutting edge on. I assume this is a excavator bucket ?
  3. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

How hard is T-1 steel to work with? My bucket came from the factory with a bolt on edge, so it is already drilled. Will I be able to drill T-1 steel? Any suppliers? Thanks!
  4. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

any steel supplier can get you a piece of plate steel the thickness you want it. some will even cut it for you for an additional charge. there is a place here called surplus steel and fabrication, you can buy steel stock from them in any variation...
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'd just get a piece of steel cut to your specifications. Then drill holes and install.
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You will need a wear resistant steel for a cutting edge and T-1 is about the cheapest. You would need a machine shop to drill the holes for you because trying to drill with out a drill press etc is tough. A person with a very steady hand and a torch can burn the holes either using a oxy acet or a plasma torch or a shop may have a automated cutting machine punch in the specs it cuts you a piece.

It doesn't take much to have a cutting edge made or rebuild a bucket.
  7. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

Where are you in Southern Illinois?
    Schaeffer Enterprises in Wolf Lake, IL will probably either have one used or can get an aftermarket one fairly quickly.
    Google Schaeffer Enterprises and they have a website.