cutting edges...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jbailey52, Feb 10, 2007.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Can someone give some tips on cutting the curves on a walkway? This is a hypothetical walkway. lets say its 4 feet wide. 35 feet long and has gentle curves connecting it from the house to the sidewalk. after the base, and sand is set, what is everyones approach from there?? Build the walk over the edges, go with chalk and curve it and cut in place? Then after that, how do you cut soldier courses to fit the now cut walkway, and then cutting the soldier course themself to fit each other. (confused on the best way of marking and cutting soldier courses to fit eachother) Also, where in the process do you install the edge restraints (On the base i bet 99% of people do)

Thanks in advance!!

2. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Not sure if I understand what your question is.

Are you asking how to build a Paver walkway?

Or are you asking what we all use to cut pavers with?

Hope your just asking what/ how to cut?

For most of our cuts we use a Stihl TS 400 and cut in place.

For real tight radius cuts, we use a worm drive 7 1/4" (takes longer, but makes the best looking cuts)

Then when neither of the above saws work we use a dry table saw.

All three have their place on our job sights.

3. GroundScapesIncorporated

from VA

Oh and we usually put snap edge down after all pavers have been laid.

And yes we put it on the base itself, taking a trowell and scraping all sand away from the edge of the pavers.

4. jbailey52

Thanks for your reply.. Im more asking about the best way to cut a curved walk. I.e. Laying out the paving past the edges, drawing the curved lines on the paving with chalk etc. then cuttin in place with the saw.. then after they are cut.. what is the best way to cut the soldier course to fit..Thanks for your reply!

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

If I told you, I'd have to kill you.:)

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Once you have cut your line, all you do is place your border pavers and cut each one individually. Here are a couple of pics to help explain.

Chris

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

7. jbailey52

Thanks Cg... Im really looking for the best technique in marking the soldier course to then cut to size.. i.e. Caps you can lay on top of the cap on either side and fit a marker crayon on the underside and mark both.. but the pavers are so small how do you accuratly mark each one to fit? Thanks a lot!

8. GroundScapesIncorporated

from VA

We use conduit to help lay out the desired curve.

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

You must install the border so it is flush with the body and over the run of your border you will have small gaps. Lay your first border paver in then lay the next one and check the gap, mark the gap using a tape measure and speed square, cut the paver. It should match up perfectly.....repeat!

I hope I explained this OK.

Chris

10. jbailey52

hmm.. ha i read it over and over.. kinda confused on the wording maybe? Ha thanks for your help and sorry for being a PITA