1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting fescue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luv2fly, Mar 28, 2006.

1. luv2fly

luv2fly LawnSite Member
    from ATL

Does fescue grow at the same rate year round? I'm bidding on a job that has fescue and just wondering how many times it will need to be cut in the cooler months.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

it really depends on the temp & irrigation. here in st. louis if you have a irrigation system you can easily get 32 cuts a year.
  3. lawnartisan

lawnartisan LawnSite Member

I live in riverside county California, all track homes with irrigation, all tall fescue. I have alot of bi-weeky customers and in the dead of winter it would hardly grow and lose a couple shades of color unless you fertilize. But really it only seems to slow down for about a two month period. It should be done every week for about 70% of the year in my opinion. Atleast here. Also there is another factor, which variety of fescue it is. Some are regular and some are more dwarf varieties. there a gazzilion varieties, (i.e. Marathon 1,2, and 3) are different growth rates. Somewhat Dwarf seems popular here, ie EDEN. If its warm and watered well non dwarf varieties can grow fast. sorry for all the babble.
  4. lawnartisan

lawnartisan LawnSite Member

call the local sod farm but ask them to ask the farmers the some customer service girl some of those desk girls pass bad info in my experience.