Cutting For Family Members ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daleman, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

I am just starting my lawn biz this spring, and am in the process of acquiring customers. My grandmother, and my uncle (live next door to each other) both want me to do their lawns. Do you guys give family members a deal?? They both have like 1 acre lawns, and I wouldn't feel right charging them $35 a cut (each) my price for that size yard!! Please help .............................

2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Your price of $35.00 for (1) acre of mowing is way too low to begin... so there getting a steal of a deal at $35.00.

3. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

$35 is too low? Both yards only take 45 minutes each!! I try to base my prices on 35$ an hour not by size of yard. These yards are extremely flat and have like no obstacles to cut around!

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

No joke. $35 per acre is kinda low. I think they'd be happy with that. If not, then it's up to you what to do. After all, it is your family.

5. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

well... if thats the hourly rate what you're comfortable making then.. thats your call... but I would tell my two relatives that this is my price and thats it, take it or leave it. You got a right to earn too... if you don't mow there properties... someone else will.

6. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

Not that it has anything to do with the price but what are you cutting with Dale?

I wouldn't feel right about charging 35 for an acre either, but thats cause i would feel ripped off, but then again i cut all my family's yards for free anyway.

7. CSRA Landscaping

ROFL! :laugh:

8. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

I use a 48" ZTR Rider :rolleyes: If that helps any

9. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

I'm glad you find that funny Jeff, I take it that you don't hook up your family. Anyway, this is kind of a different question but do you guys let your employees cut their yards for free. If all goes as planned and we are done early on fridays I don't have a problem cutting my employees lawns, provided they are near by. Of course, they don't get paid for this.

10. CSRA Landscaping

Lamblawn, I find it extremely funny ... because that's how I would do it, if any of our family lived around us. :rolleyes: The almighty dollar isn't so in my life, so I can appreciate that, lamblawn. I'm sure that the employees will appreciate it, too. Sorry that you took me wrong. ;)