1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting full throttle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smithers, May 18, 2005.

1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

It may sound like a stupid question, but do you cut grass at wide open throttle?

I read a thread by Terry (exmark) regarding the fuel consumption. ....in it he said that it depends if the person cuts at WOT.

I always cut at WOT because i thought that the grass is cut the sharpest and cleanest at the highest RPM. otherwise, it would just tear it off.

how about the trimmer? do you press to the max if you dont have to?

any opinions?
  2. Bret's Lawn Care

Bret's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I cut at wide open and only fill up every 20 lawns same with the trimmer
  3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Not cutting at full throttle puts unnecessary strain on the engine. As far as trimmers, I only cut at full if I have to. Not sure if it makes a difference.
  4. Sweetwater

Sweetwater LawnSite Member

Wide open baby!!! RPM should be 3600 at full throttle and should dip less than 100 under load of baldes. Terry would probably agree with this.
  5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

The mowers are made to cut at full throttle. Yes I cut at full throttle. I vary trimmer speed by how much I am cutting off.
  6. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I always run at full throttle. And on the 2 cycle trimmers, etc, they are designed to run at full throttle. If you don't , the oil in the oil/gas mixture does not get fully consumed and the excess oild will eventually gum up the carberator.
  7. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

The govoner maintains a desired rpm. The factory recomended rpm speed for a working motor running at extended periods of time is 3,600 rpm for best performance and efficient operation. Most govoners are set to this speed and different motors use different set speeds, but yes, u should run any mower at its set rpm speed which is full throttle.
  8. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

yeah me too....i cut at WOT with the mower. i'd hate to double cut or cut until i find the right RPM for that particular lawn. it probably is unnesesary (sp) and it strains the engine

as far as the trimmer....if i am in heavy grass (tall and thick) i cut at WOT. otherwise, i just pull the trigger enough to get it cut.

wonder if it makes any difference.

oh, forgot to add...on my exmark, i dont have an RPM gauge. wish i did!
  9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I run mowers at full throttle, but not trimmers. They just hit me with too much crapola for that. If I can get the job done at half or 3/4 throttle, I do it. The manufacturer probably recommends full throttle at all times, but those engineers aint getting hit by gravel, wires, marbles, small pieces of hard plastic and other assorted garbage during the operation of these things, so I overruled them.
  10. fel

fel LawnSite Member
    from Jax Fl

Always WOT on the mower, but only as much as I need on the trimmer..