1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cutting gated residential lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RH, May 3, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I use 3 mower 1 Walker 54'' Scag dual hydro 36'' walkbehind and push mower.I try to get the scag in most of the time but I still have jobs that require the 21''.Does anyone know if the gateway is a dual hyrdo??????<br>

2. pete

pete LawnSite Member

Well if we cant get the 36 in the only thing to do is use the 21. I have a route that we run with 2 21 because 2 guys can mow the backs and i can do front edge trim and fire up the blower before there done( we also have a lot of townhomes on this route). You guys will like this, i do a whole lawn, 3/8 acre, with a 21. i could use a 72 if i had one but the customer likes the 21 stripe. they pay well and they are nice people so we deal with it. I also want you to know that when i first started i cut a 1 acre lawn with a 21, ah the good old days. I like the gate renovation idea, ill have to try that.

3. paddy

paddy LawnSite Member

i think that mower is interesting, but it serves a small market. I wonder how the belts are routed? it looks sturdy, i wonder how it locks into the regular position? The most usefull part of that mower, from what i can see, is how far the deck is offset. Then i thought, it would be nice to see it with a floating deck. that would be very dificult to make a floating deck fold. then i thought some more, that mower will scalp like crazy, imagine doing hils with that. what if the bagger side hits a bump, the large extension would make a nose dive into turf. But, i'm glad that someone is trying something new.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I just say no to single gates. If I can't ride the lawn, I don't cut it.