Cutting grass for a living

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, May 6, 2008.

1. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

What do all you guys do that just cut lawns when it comes time for retirement, life insurance, and health insurance?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

HA! Good question! Now reality sets in! It depends on if you own a job, or own a business.

3. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Started a 401k with an oil company I work for in the winter months several years back, also started a roth IRA couple years ago. Wife has 403b & NYS retirement (excellent system) she has the health ins through work, and we both have a half mill policy on our heads for life. Our financial planer says we should be set, guess well have to wait 30 yrs and see. payup

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

well I dont know what I am going to do about that.. I do know I am going to be the biggest pita to my lawn care guy. :laugh: payback for all of my customers

5. TheChiefsLawnCare

ahhhh, sounds like a plan. Cause I want to join the local police department but I also really love to cut grass. And right now, the economy is getting horrible so I just wonder how good being self employeed and cutting lawns will be if people cant afford gas and groceries now.

6. Raven386

from CT

only time will tell what will happen. Having a stable job and ins. would be a lot better than this. But at the same time, you are no longer your own boss and the money you can make in this industry is unlimited. If the work is there obviously. so that brings you back to a stable job with a retirement fund.

7. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh::laugh: not exactly the long term goal I was expecting... but it works.

8. TheChiefsLawnCare

Yeah, its a gamble, take the chance and stick with it, or just leave it and do police work. At least with the police department, i would have a check in the mail on a reg. basis.

9. Raven386

from CT

haha. I live for the day I have a lco cutting my lawn or retirement home. I will tell him about the good ol' days. We used to have to walk behind our lawn mowers! We didnt have robotic ones. We used to carry the trailer from lawn to lawn too, loaded with 3 mowers full of grass by hand up-hill both ways! in the snow!

10. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Take the police job. It doesn't sound like you have the drive to make a successful business.