Cutting grass today? Need quick response.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have a client that would like one more cut to make things look clean and tight. When the surrounding neighbors see me there, they will probably want the same thing.

It's cold out there and my concern is whether it will damage the turf? Will driving my Z on the turf damage it or leave tracks because it is too cold? Temps have been around 36-38 degrees.

2. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

I'm in Maryland as well and I cut one yesterday afternoon w/ my 48" walkbehind with no problems. No tracks, no damage. Don't know if this matters or not, but it might help to wait until later in the day. I'll be doing another after work today. Then I'm done mowing for the season.

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Go for it. It's too cold and miserable here to work outside. Hmmmm. Maybe I'll go deer hunting.
    Crawdad

4. summergrove

summergrove LawnSite Member

If there isn't frost on the grass I would cut it.

5. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

No frost go for it JUST take it easy any damage WILL be there till next spring.

jim

6. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

Oh yeah, yesterday was cold as ****. Dress warm, wear gloves, and work fast!

7. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

no frost,need the money yeah i'd do it..

8. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Im going to have to do one next week (property was neglected-new owner). I cant see how it would hurt anything considering the grass is dormant, and the soil is nice and hard.

Jimbo

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There's not really a whole lot that you can do to grass at this time of year that will hurt it. Like was said before, make sure there is no frost, and go for it. I wouldn't take it down TOO low, though. The shorter it is, the longer it takes to come out of dormancy.

10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Man did I freeze my aszzzz off! It's days like today that I wish I was using a walk behind instead of a Z. Sure it would take a little longer but it would keep the blood flowing.

I hate working in the cold.. I think I'm done for the year!!!

Thanks again.