cutting grass too early

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PRO PROPERTY CARE, Apr 22, 2003.

1. PRO PROPERTY CARE

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

This may seem like a stupid question , but here it goes.
    Does it hurt the grass too cut it too early. Right now its just starting to turn green and grow here, but its very cold today.
    Would it hurt the grass too cut it too early, it is looking scrufffy, some spots growning and green, some are still partially dormant.
    thanks

2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well i would never cut if it does'nt need it, but no it does'nt really hurt it....When you do dethaches and clean-ups yo are cutting it and it never does anything, at least not that Ive seen.

3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Don't mow if grass is frozen, heavy frost or the ground is too soft from the spring rains and thawing, all will damage the grass blades or root system. When doing spring cleanup I use a 52" hydro walk behind with a vacuum system and the lawns are as you describe (patchy) and I havn't lost one yet .
    BobR

4. LawnGuy73

Sorry......good point, no frozen or frosty grass.

5. PRO PROPERTY CARE

thanks guys,

Im new at it ,and sometimes I think i worry too much,,,lol....

:dizzy:

6. LawnGuy73

Lol....Better to ask then to mess up someones property

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

PRO PROPERTY CARE, don't worry about being new or asking questions. That is the only way you will learn other then just reading the existing posts. Better to ask a question here then make a mistake that costs you a customer.

Gravely_Man

8. PRO PROPERTY CARE

thanks for the help guys,,, your right better too ask then mess up...
    :D

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

6 a.m. on Sunday would be too early!:D

I agree with the others. Anyway, if it hasn't grown in some areas of the lawn, you really aren't cutting it anyway.

10. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

it was in the fall but i have mowed a lawn that was heavily frosted. the stripes were great and there were no clumps!!! 20 minutes later the frost was dew and the next lwn didn't look nearly as good. i am still mowing the lawn and it still looks great. i do recall it was the last cut of the season as it seemed to go to sleep shortly after that mowing!!