Cutting grass when it's wet

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Novaowner, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Novaowner

Novaowner LawnSite Member

What time does everyone begin cutting grass for the day? I start around 8 am, and about half the time, the grass is still wet. I don't like to do that, but when you have a full schedule for the day, it's hard to avoid. Do you think it's better to start later in the day to be safe? Thanks.

2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on how wet the grass is, Dew is no problem

3. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I'd start a little later in the day, however, I know some people like to start early !!

4. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I like to arrive at my 1ST account around 8:30am. My day is generally:wake up at 7:00am, load up equipment/food/beverage; leave at 7:45-8:00am and cut grass; work till day's accounts are done; come home(usually between 6:00-7:00pm).

5. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

7:15 usually.

6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Leave the house at 6:45 and mowing by 7:15

7. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

If its a heave dew that morning I'll start about 8:30 - 9am, if it has rained at all that day I never mow afterward.
    Depending on the amount of rain I may not mow the next day either, letting the lawn dry so it don't clog or clump and helps not to leave ruts. This redclay mud is mushy when its wet, but hard as iron when its dry

8. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Sweet Tater, how in the world do you make any money?:)

I generally mow no matter what, even in the rain as long as its not a downpour. There are a few accounts that are exceptions, that will get a little damage when wet, but I guess I am lucky that with 99% of my accounts you can't see the difference when cut wet or dry. I mulch everything, and have never had a problem with clumps or clippings.

When I first started and had a residential mower I could not mow when wet because of the grass clumping and looking bad

9. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

It rained pretty good yesterday, and there was plenty of dew on the ground, but that didnt stop us from getting started at 8 am.....We usually get started about 8am everyday, and 7am if we are doing comm. accounts.....Dew is no problem because we are cutting so low.....I actually like when the lawns are wet, seems like we get a better cut....but stripes are poor.....

10. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

unfortunatly my client load right now gives me the time to do that.