1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cutting grass

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BCnj, Jun 16, 2007.

1. BCnj

BCnj LawnSite Member

How do you know how much to charge for cutting lawns??
  2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I get this question from callers and emails all the time. My answer is "It depends on the size and difficulty of your lawn. Give me your address so I can take a look and get you a price."
  3. Bigray

Bigray LawnSite Member

experience, experience,
    set a minimum first

do some searches as well.
  4. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

My minimum is around $25, but I do have one that I cut for $15 (it is 20ft.x30ft. total!) It is very helpful to work out a system (be it sq yrds etc.) so that you have a consistent standard. You also have to take into consideration distance etc. Bigray is right; do some searches, and talk to some professionals around your area for a good idea of what to charge.
  5. gary6768

gary6768 LawnSite Member

Multiply the square feet of area to be mowed X the estimated blades of grass divide by 9. This formula is accurate for 95 % of applications.
  6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

My minimum charge is 35.00

becouse lawn mowing is production, I cost out lawns by time 80.00 to 125.00 per hr. depending on the amount of clippings removed and trimming involved
  7. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

I size up the yard---lots of trees, ditches, fences, etc that will slow you down---then estimate how long it'll take me and "time-zee" that number by the rate I want per hour.