Cutting height.....is it possible to cut it too high??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwost, May 18, 2004.

1. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, I usually cut my grass between 3-3.5" I decided to raise it to 4" last week due to me being out of town and missing my every third day mow. I have a perennial rye/Kentucky blue mix on my yard and noticed after I mowed that the flowers or seedlings from the grass were still showing. I figured this was due to the excessive growth and that the next time I mowed at 4" I'd cut it down. Well, I just mowed it again today and they are still there. I don't like the way it looks at all as the "whiteness" from the flowers makes the lawn look like a lighter shade of green. I'm planning on dropping back down to 3 or 3.5 but I was curious if 4" is too high for my grass type?? Anyone have input?

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed the same thing, after I mowed, it still had the appearance of not being mowed due to the seeding.
    I figured it was healthier to let the grass stay higher, so come dry season, the roots will be better established, and light green now is better than brown then!

3. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad I'm not alone!!.........LOL I agree and that was my philosopy as well. I have never had an issue cutting between 3 and 3.5 and will go back next cut. I have an irrigation system anyway, so even during the dry spells I'm able to maintain the moisture content. I wonder if continued cutting at 4" it eventually would grow to the point that I could cut it off?