cutting height on mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawnslawns, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Shawnslawns

Shawnslawns LawnSite Member

I have a scag 48 inch walkbehind. I am wanting to get it set up right for striping. The deck is set in the middle of the three holes. I want to get it the height at 3 inches and the pitch on the front at 1/4 of an inch closer to ground. For any of you experienced scag users which hole do i need to put the deck in and how many spacers on the blades and front caster wheels? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

For the best striping set the deck on the frame in the bottom hole,you have spacers on the blade to raise the cut.and the front casters also.

3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought the rear of the deck should be lower to produce the best stripes.

4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought the back should be lowered also and if so how much? 1/4 inch...1/2 inch?

5. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

nope the front

6. TURF DOCTOR

The vacum is a lot of your striping on scags,and blades and height.

7. Shawnslawns

Shawnslawns LawnSite Member

Turf Doctor could you reiterate on your last post? I bought this mower last year and people on here have told me it will stripe without a kit. Do you own one? If so, how is yours set up how many spacers on blades and front castors and things like that. Thank you.

8. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

What should the difference be then?

9. TURF DOCTOR

My deck is set at the bottom hole the spacers on the blades i keep 1 to 2 between the blade and deck that leaves the front 3 to 4 and a half inch cut blades are high lifts to gaters or raptors.

10. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

you wont get a nice as a cut . thats why they call for a deck pitch right? or am i wrong. it also helps with discharge