1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cutting height problems with toro proline 21"-need help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, May 27, 2007.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2006 toro proline 21" mower, non-bbc, with kawasaki engine. The manual states that the cutting heights are:
    1", 1.5", 2", 2.5", 3", 3.5".

When I place the unit at 2", it looks like the mower is cutting at 1.75" and I'm getting a lot of scalping, especially on bumpy terrain.
    If I move it to 2.5" setting, the grass looks more like a 3" cut and is shaggy. This has led to a lot of customer complaints.

I took the unit back to the dealer yesterday and they say everything is fine but when they measured the heights, they found the cutting heights to be:
    1", 1.75", 2.25", 2.75", 3", 3.5". They also noticed that the spacing between the holes on the height adjusters are not even. We compared these to the new 07 models on the floor and found the kawasaki equipped units to have the same problems. However, an 05 honda equipped unit, with the older version of the height adjusters did not have this problem.

I've owned 3 prolines before this and have never had this problem.

Does anyone know what is causing this problem and how it can be fixed?
  2. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I had this problem once. We were using 2 of the same 21" Toro Proline mowers that were set on the same height and one was cutting lower then the other. It turns out the blade retainer was not all the way up in the unit causing it to cut shorter. They (dealer mechanic) pulled the retainer out and replaced it with a new one and it fixed it. They both cut at the same level now.