cutting height question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Ray Zorback, May 10, 2007.

1. Ray Zorback

Ray Zorback LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner in the market for a zero turn mower to save time. My yard is about 4 acres and fairly smooth.(I brought a demo home and had no problem going 8 mph) We have a 7 acre pond which is home to several snakes, so my wife insist on cutting to 1" or less. Most zero turn mowers list their lowest cutting height at 1.5 inches. My question is: Can the decks be adjusted down another 1/2 inch? Thanks in advance.

2. Ray Zorback

I forgot to mention I'm looking at commercial ZTR's. Scag, Hustler, Exmark, Badboy, & Toro all have dealers close to me.

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

All should mow down to 1"

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

what kind of grass are you cutting? that should dictate the level that you cut at, not the paranoid delusions of the fairer sex.

5. leejp

leejp LawnSite Member

How does this help? Idea is that the snakes can't hide underneath the tall grass?

6. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't believe that's true for all. My Exmark Lazer Z goes down to only 1.5 inches, but I've never set it that low and I'm sure I never will.

7. cranesrule

cranesrule LawnSite Member

If you are looking at Hustlers I can strongly reccomend Pro Motors in Russelville. Robert will take good care of you, and he beats the crap out of the Little Rock/Bryant/Jacksonville dealers on price.

8. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

Cutting an inch or less is really more of a job for a reel mower. A rotary would really need a full length roller under the deck to safely cut that short...under an inch anyway.

9. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree here. Cutting that short with a rotary mower, especially with a commercial grade Z is somewhat dangerous. Even with a timecutter, Toro's homeowner series. There is alot of vaccum under the deck that will pull up any small particles or pebbles that may be there. You will also more than likely scalp at that height with a Z. And the anti scalp rollers will dig in and tear the turf during turns which can be a very tedious process without a foot lift. You would be much better with a tractor and a pull behind reel.

Check e-bay as well. Often there are smaller 80" and under reel mowers that you can pick up rather inexpensively.

10. Ray Zorback

Mostly bermuda.