Cutting Height Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mwalz, Oct 11, 2013.

1. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

In my yard I put up a big Christmas light display. And for about 2 months I'm walking around my yard a lot. In fact for 1 1/2 months there is a large structure sitting on the grass. It's zoysia grass and what height should it be cut at for winter with high traffic on it? I don't want it too short because we get super cold winters here, and I don't want it too tall. Currently i cut it at 3" but should i keep it the same? Or drop it down to 2.5" because of the high amount of walking being done on it.

Thanks for the help

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'd think that if a lot of people walk on it, you'd want it shorter. Zoysia is kinda funky to walk on to begin with. I wouldn't worry about damaging it too much. It will go extremely dormant at the first frost. Back in "The Day" people used to burn it off every winter.

3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I cut everything same height, aadjust it once and be done playing around,
    2.5 for this 3.147625 for that, forget it, set it once and cut like that year round
    or sooner rather than later you're going to cut at the wrong height for sure.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  4. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

I kinda figured it would be better to just keep ot at the same height, every winter I always cut it shorter, and spring it was a pain to get to nice and thick again.