Cutting Height?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by benward, Apr 27, 2009.

1. benward

benward LawnSite Member

I mow in central-nothern alabama (birmingham area) and need help with my cutting height. what is a good general height? i norm set my mowers for 2 1/2 in. i have my exmark wb set at 2 1/8 now and had a lady say it was set too high just so i have to cut her yard more often. i cut all types of grass and sod, mostly res. thanks! BEN

2. Kutz Lawns

Kutz Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Most lawns are cut at 3 inches but if the customer wants it lower I just do it.

If you explain in detail why you need to leave high they usually understand.

Mowing higher looks better, keeps weeds out, better chance of not burning, etc, etc, etc.

Mr. Mow

3. joevg

joevg LawnSite Member

we mow at 3 1/2, to 4in here in the midwest. keep the turf thick no room for weeds.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Same, I'm at 3.25" now but fixing to go 3.5"

5. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

I end up mowing pretty low, partially because the grass is full of weeds around here anyways, and because it's bermuda. Thirdly because my mower has a lot of power and the customers tend to want it usually. I was doing the 3" thing, but I find I can cut it at 2.0 or 1.5 with no problem and it looks great, I could never cut that low before because they would clog up. I wasn't used to it either but on the higher settings it just doesn't look cut.

6. JonathanW

JonathanW LawnSite Member

Hey I found me a fellow Birmingham Man! What part in/around birmingham are you mowing? I'm in the Leeds area about 15 mins outside of birmingham.

Anway, I cut mostly Bermuda and weed yards. The Bermuda I cut at 1.5 because it's as low as my WB will go, and I cut the weed yards on 1.5 as weel, again because it's as low as it will go.

If I use regular push mowers I do try to keep them cut a tad lower on the certain ones the homeowners want cut lower.

Hope this helps.

7. Coastal Lawn Maintenance

Coastal Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

i have never figured this out. during the spring the customer want the grass cut short to about 1.5 to 2.25. i hate cutting this short usually for me im about 3.25. there grass dose good during the spring. and come summer there grass burns and dose not grow. and then they want to blame it on the lawn service for why they have no grass growing.

8. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty much, bermuda and weed lawns are the healthy majority for what I do.

9. BCarlson

BCarlson LawnSite Member

wow 3+ inches, in W. Washington decks recommended height was 2 inches and now in Eastern Oregon recommended height is 2 - 2 1/2 inches. Right now until it warms up a bit I'm cutting at 2 1/8 then during the summer up to 2 1/2 then back down in the late fall. But again recommended height for grasses is different in each area.

10. dtelawn

dtelawn LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Hey Bama guys. As for the cutting height most customers will always say they want ti shorter so it doesn't look bad so soon. Here is the fact of tha matter. In Alabama is gets hot early, always humid and the grass needs to be cut more than every other week. Almost everyone wants the every other week cut. This year it has rained so much that cutting below 2 1/2 means we are having to cut about 4 or 5 inches off every other week. This usually requires a double cut to spread out all the clippings to look good. I am running a full mulch kit on my Lazer Z. I have to cut much slower, but it eliminates any extra clipping on the lawn.

I am not based in the Bham area but have several accounts around there.