1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting Height

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Aug 16, 2000.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

How low do you guys cut your lawns? I had somebody tell me I was cutting too high. For any of you Toro 21" mower users I'm cutting on deck setting "C". Is that too high? I figure any lower and lawns will burn up here. Thanks guys.
  2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I cut with my toro on "e" or whatever the highest setting is.
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys!

If you put your mower on a flat concrete pad or garage floor, etc, and measure from the floor to the bottom of the blade that will give you a pretty accurate measure of your cut. I always cut at 3". Its easier for me to keep green and stripes a lot better.

But different areas call for different looks!
    You have to get specific info from someone in your region/climate.

Hope this Helps!

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

They obviously want you to scalp it to dirt so they want have to pay you to do it as often.

Two types of customers:

A. Likes their lawn and landscape and wants it to look good.

B. Thinks grass is evil and must be stopped.

Stay away from B
  5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Great post Keith! You hit it on the head!! Thats another good reason to cut at 3", because it will always look like it needs a weekly cutting, even if it only needs a little trim off the top!!

6. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a lady tell me I was cutting too high and snakes come out of the grass. I asked her if she was the boss in this fantasyworld she lived in? So I cut it down too the ground, no more snakes, no more lawn either!
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Ahh yessss. The snake problem. Tell the person if they have snakes, they have a rodent problem not a grass problem. That's why the snakes are there. :D

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks guys. Keith-It wasn't a customer, just somebody that saw me cut. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Guido-I just measured. I'm at 2 1/8 inches. Thanks for the tip!

Accuratelawn-I usually don't cut that high becuase most of my customers want it cut lower than what you cut at. I cut at "c" at one of my customers lawns, showed up a week later and with all the heat here the grass didn't grow much. Probably about 1/4 of what it used to grow in a week. I was talking to the customer and he thought is was "fricken long" after 1 weeks growth. I sittin' here thinkin' to my self "Man, that aint long at all".
  9. :p
    Your doing right.:) I'm assuming you are around the Spokanne area, anyway, your climate is similar to the climate that we have here in the San Frnacisco area. Keep those customers happy. The downside is more watering and fertilizing requirements.

The point that I'm trying to make to the other people in this forum is just because that's the way you do things(cutting height) in your neck of the woods doesn't mean it's correct for my neck of the woods.

The grasses that I cut vary per sod farm specs. The bluegrass that I cut,they recommed keeping it between 1" to 2" and what I now use, "Dwraf Fescue with Bonsia" the best height should be no lower than 2" to 3". Hotter weather, you can cut taller,but no taller than 4".

When you use a small machine, you can cut shorter and still have a nice lawn. The only thing that not so hot is the fact that the lawns need to have more water and fertilizer. The latter, can be a money maker:D.
  10. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

My town is a low mow town everyone wants it scalped and don't complain if the soil shows through . Once it got real hot I sneak my 21" toros up a notch in either the front or back . I do this a couple three times over a few mows and have every one between 2" and 2 3/4" . This is mighty long around here . This mindset drives me nuts .