cutting height

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Randys Lawn Service, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Randys Lawn Service

Randys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I've searched through "threads" and didn't find too much similar to my question. What is a typical mowing height for most LCO's?? I mow at 3" sometimes 3 1/4". Have some that think it should be "scalped" and I tell them that isn't healthy for the grass.
  2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

3" is the lowest I will Go most I mow at 3.5" or 4"

KDLAWN LawnSite Member

4. Randys Lawn Service

Randys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Have a couple sodded bluegrass. Most are a mixture of blue grass and rye. Nothing very good.
  5. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I mow at 3".

A couple of reasons. It is as high as my honda will let me go and it is just right for fescue and blue blend. In the winter I will drop to as low as 2.5 but no lower.

I will drop to 1.5 if I am doing an over seed but will wait till the temparatures are under 75.

So far we have had record breaking temps and it is still in the high 80's. oh well more work for later.
  7. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

8. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

I mow from 3.5 to 4 mostly fescue
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

3 - 3.5 Spring and Summer...will lower to 2.5 last cut of Fall so we can blow or vac up the leaves more efficiently.
  10. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

Spokane, WA.
    Believe it or not, 2''- 2 1/4''
    I don't know why, but thats what most, if not all the other lcos cut it at here.
    If you raise it, the customers will fined someone els to cut it shorter. :confused:
    And yes they burnout.
    A lady came out yesterday and yelled ''DO I HAVE TO FINED SOMEONE ELS TO CUT IT SHORTER'' I said we cut it at this hight for the health of the lawn.
    She says ''IT'S MY LAWN'' I said '' who takes care of your lawn, you or me''
    As she said''I don't care'' and went to close the door ''I said find some one els'', she says ''WHAT'' I said ''fined some one els''.
    She says fine, I will, SLAM.
    I'v had probs with her all season.