Cutting Height

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kolar, Oct 6, 2003.

1. kolar

kolar LawnSite Member

My sod is about 3 weeks old. I cut it today with my brother-in-laws HP 52 23. I cut it at 5". It looks pretty good at that height. Is it healthy for sod to be cut that long. I was thinking about going to 4" Also I'm in Michigan. Its getting cool out and I was going to fertilize it with triple 12 or 16. Would that be alright
    :dizzy:

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Cutting it that long is no problem but you will want to reduce the height of the lawn. HP 52-23's don't cut at 5 inches unless the deck is in the transport position. All of our lawns are cut between 3.25-4 inches.reduce the height of cut from 5 to 4 inches and then to 3.5 with each cut.Too much off at one time will only do more harm than good. Use a standard starter fert(18-24-12) rather than a garden fert like triple 12.

3. kolar

kolar LawnSite Member

My grass is pretty green, should I fertilize anyway? To help it root.

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

agree with dvm...
    use the 18 24 12. I actually use this starter fert a couple times a year on my own, established lawn. I'm not a big fan of Nitrogen except for the one treatment in late fall. I have never had a better lawn than when I started using the starter fert multiple times a season....great stuff

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Unless it has already been fertilized since laying the sod use the starter fert.

GarPa,
    I do the same with mine.