1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cutting height

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aburton07, May 19, 2004.

1. aburton07

aburton07 Banned

i have a 97 Toro 36" walk behind and i was just trying to figure out the exact mowing heights for the different settings. when i measured the height i put my mower on a level concrete slab and measured the blade height from the ground. this is where i met my dilemma. i have always cut common Bermuda at the third setting from the top and it has seemed very healthy if not a little short, but if i cut it at the suggested 1"-2" it would be at the lowest possible setting which i think would totally scalp every yard i do. so i was wondering if ya'll would have any input on this or suggestions on how to measure the height!
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What ever works and looks good. Some lawns if i cut them at 3" like others the bumps get scalped so i lift the deck a little higher and it looks better.
  3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

My Gravely 36" WB can cut Bermuda no lower than 2" without any type of scalping effect, but your mileage may vary.

I wouldn't suggest cutting it any lower than 2" unless you have a reel mower. Most of my Bermuda lawns are cut with the reel at 1-1.5 inches.

Common Bermuda will do just fine at 2", not so for the hybrids like Tifway.