1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cutting heighth

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TUCKER467, Feb 28, 2005.

1. TUCKER467

TUCKER467 LawnSite Member

just wondering what the ideal cutting heighth you guys use on residential property. I have asked the client and some say 2'' to 2 1/2'' , just wanted some different opinions, this is my 3rd year in the business, just got my license, and getting insurance this week

2001 f-150
    JD LT 180 17 KAW 48''
    JD 757 25 KAW 60''
    ECO SD2200
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

thats pretty short, i go around 3
  3. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

3.5" is where I set mine. Once in a great while 3", never lower than that.
  4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to cut mine about 1/2 shorter in the spring cause it seems to grow so fast
  5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

3 1/4 - 3 3/4 normally but I have a few that go as high as 5 inches and every now and then you get the clown that wants 2 course he gets 2 3/4 -3 depending on my mood.
  6. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I've got a guy who has me cut at 1.5 inches. Of course I can't use the WB or it would scalp. I do the whole thing with a 21" and he pays for the extra time(lawn isn't even 1/4 acre). He has regular ferts and aerates under someone else and doesn't water the lawn at all. Somehow it manages to stay green and it looks far better than any other lawn i've seen. I usually cut other lawns anywhere from 2.5-3.5 inches.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

3 - 3.5" never lower than 3
  8. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

We cut and bag everything at 3 to 31/2 inches.
  9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Here in Northcentral WV, we mow at 3.5", cutting mainly fescues and rye / bluegrass mix lawns..
  10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

It vaires all over the country and depening on your type of grass... sorry not fimilar with tenn. grasses. here fescue is cut generally at 3 to 3.5 inches. most older people want it shorter than that, just they way it used to be done I guess. Ultimately I find that it dosn't really matter the height you cut it, it always generally grows the same amount each week. if you cut it at 2" you are going to be scalping alot unless you are using small mowers and the lawn is used to being cut that low... I also bag everything cutting at the heights I stated. most people that don't bag generally cut higher than that (3.5 to 4 or so) gives the grass that's blown out somewhere to go, shorter grass it just lays on top.