Cutting heights

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Mar 17, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Heh, guys. I've read that it's best to cut grass between 2-2.5 inches. Then again after it's grown an inch, in the mid-west. ANd then lower cuts for southern states. should I stick to this formula or ask the customer what he would like it down to and do that? I've know that if u cut it too short that the roots will get too much sun and dry out and then the grass will die. So how should I gauge this?:confused: Just trying to get everything ready so I look like a pro and not a dumby!

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I cut at 3", all the time, period.

I've never had a customer tell me to cut it shorter or longer. If the cut quality is good, I don't think the customer cares too much about the height.

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I cut between 3" and 4". Most lawns get cut at 3.5" to 3.75".

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Now that you say that, it might be 3.5" for me. LOL, I can't remember now! I'll have to look at the deck pins on the Turf Tracer to see where I've had it set at...

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Haha, yeah that happens to me sometimes. Someone will ask me what height I have been cutting at, and I will have to say, "I cut in the 7th hole with the pin turned this way," instead of 3.5".

6. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on the turf but most would be 3.5-4.5.I got some clients that like the bahia at 1.5-2.5 but its bad for their lawns.The shorter it is the more problems you'll have with weeds

7. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

4 ",,,,,job security

8. mike007

mike007 LawnSite Member

Anyone look at zoysia grass? it says you only cut it at 1 inch on the directions.

9. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys! So I'll figure somewhere between 3-3.5 probably. If they specifically ask to have it cut lower though; say down to 2.5 or less inches, should I oblige but first warn them of the increased likelyhood of dead grass due to root exposure to sun and weeds or just go ahead and do it or refuse and say that I don't go below 2.5 or 3?? I'm new and don't want to have to decline business or make the customers think I don't know what I'm talking about as far as height.

10. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

i don't ask my customers what height they want, i'll only cut lower if they ask and in that case i tell them the problems with cutting it lower. key rule: do what the customer wants done, unless it will damage your equipment.