Cutting Hieght

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WeedWhacker69, Jun 19, 2001.

1. WeedWhacker69

WeedWhacker69 LawnSite Member

I know its probaly been asked a million times on here but could'nt find the question so I'll ask again. What hieght do you guys normally cut at? I normally cut a 2 inches and was just wondering. Thanks

2. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If I cut at 2 inches here, I would be golfing everyday come july!! I don't cut anything lower than 3 inches unless I HAVE too. Most of yards are at 3 1/4 or 3 1/2.

3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

depends on the grass..

St. Augustine 2.5-3.5"
    Bermuda 1.0-1.5"
    Buffalo 2.5-3.0"
    Centipede 1.5-2.5"
    Tall Fescue 2.5-3.0"
    Zoysia japonica* 1.0-1.5"
    Zoysia matrella* 0.5-1.0"

It really just depends on how you want it to look and where you are located...

Mostly St. Augustine here so our mowers stays mostly at 3"...

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

my bottom is 3" by now and my top is 5". when the rains stop you need all the height you can get away with for drought /heat tolerance. the "shortcutters"lawns always go brown first, irrigation or not. dave g

5. wkshank

wkshank LawnSite Member

Some 2", 1 at 3" and most at 2.5".

6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Exept for a few the deck stays at 3.5 this time of year.

7. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I generally mow at 2.5 to 3" right now. I've been mowing one late planting at 4.5 to avoid heat stress and taking too much leaf blade off, but I've finally brought it down to 4" (3.75 with the double blades!). That property is looking real good with proper watering and my fertilizer plan in place. They've asked me to go a little lower but I don't think I can this year w/o doing more harm than good.

I have a couple of customers that can't live with their lawn any higher than 2", despite my explanation about damage in these hot months. Some folks just can't take in the big picture and, push comes to shove, I cut it the way they like to see it week in and week out. The lawns look good cut a little lower right now, but I'll be cutting dirt August-October on those properties... ::sigh::

-TGC

8. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed you are in Indiana also, I am in south central..Indiana. The reccomendations for are area from Purdue University, is 3 to 4 inches, I dont cut anything under 3. Also they reccomend not raising the height of cut now...the grass blade is already under stress with warm temps, and the root system will take appx 6 weeks to compensate for the longer grass blade.....putting more stress on the turf. So pick a height and stay they all year if possiable.

9. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I cut at 3" year round. I have mostly blue grass. I live in Northwest Ohio. My lawns seem not to dry up like most of the guy's around here that cut at 2". Hey it just makes all my lawns look sooo much better than everyone elses. Just try different heights and see what works best for you.
    Good Luck,
    Mowman

10. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Tall-Type Fescue

4" in spring
    3.5" in summer & fall