cutting hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PRO PROPERTY CARE, Mar 12, 2003.

1. PRO PROPERTY CARE

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

Ok just priced a property with a hill, the hill is , for lack of a better word, average for steepness.
    At the bottom is the river, so I have to get this right.
    What do I need to know about cutting on hills.
    I am now purchaseing a lazerhp 52" with the 23hp motor.
    And maybe a 36inch w/b belt drive fixed deck.....
    thanks

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Two words of advice "Be careful." It all depends on how steep the hills are but when in doubt only use a walk behind (there are hills that are too steep for mower though). Getting hurt and losing equipment into the drink is not worth it. Post some pictures of the hill if possible and let us know how steep it really is.

Gravely_Man

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Go back and forth, straight across each time. Start at the bottom of the slope and work your way up. Wouldn't advise cutting it if it's wet. Take your time and pay attention.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I cut hills with above average steepness and don't have a problem with the Walker as long as the 52" deck is on it. I am not real familiar with a bigger Z like a Lazer or similar but I am sure that it can be done with relative safety. Its hard to rell the degree of slope in the pic but most MFGRS recommend no more than 15 degrees. This pic is more than that and the Walker does real well on it.

bellefall02 003.jpg

5. PRO PROPERTY CARE

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

The hill I have to cut looks about the same as the on in the pic , except longer.
    Same idea though, water at the bottom.
    I am probably going to buy the w/b also, I think Ill try the w/b first few times.
    So start at the bottom and always turn up the hill, I read something about adding weight , whats that about.
    thanks for the help guys.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

A wb will tend to jump at times, especially when turning uphill. The extra weight will help keep the deck down. I added a 35lb lead weight on my Toro WB and it really helps. I ride these hills because the Walker can. I do not even consider the ToroWB for these.
    I start at the top and move side to side and down. I actually have 4 yards in a row from that picture straight ahead to the north. That is a great stop that brings in some good bucks and I have been there for 6 years.

7. Acorn

Acorn LawnSite Member

I know a guy that mowed a hill similar to mow ed's picture and his walkbehind (for one reason or another) went right in the drink. It really puts a damper on profits. Risks are higher and its not something that the customer will understand. Customer live in the ideal world where every time you cut the lawn nothing will go wrong and the weather will be sunny all day.

good luck and price it higher than if there was no water

8. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I have cut hills steeper than that in the pic. posted with a wb... no problems for ya there..... I have a hill in my own lawn that is slightly steeper than the one posted, and my Z HP does just fine. The nice thing about the WB, IMO, on hills, is that you have a slightly more sensitive "fee" for what the machine is doing...... if you do this with the Z, be sure your more than comfortable on the machine first. With the WB.. I prefer to start at the bottom and work up.... It's a lot more controlled turning facing up hill to start the next line, than down....... just remember that in an emergency the best way to slow that WB's descent to the river would be to turn it accross the hill...... even if it screws up the turf, in an emergency, it beats pulling the WB out of the river!:eek:

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Don't add weights to the HP. It will cause the front to take off downhill on you. I do some hills and I sometimes start at the bottom and sometimes at the top. Just whatever I feel like that day. But always turn uphill, NEVER DOWNHILL. Turn uphill, then back down to your next cut path. I've been using my HP on them for 3 seasons and it works good.

UNTIL you get some seat time in the HP use the w/b. Once you get some experience with the HP then you will be ok.

10. Lazer Man

Lazer Man LawnSite Member
    from SW Pa.

The reason you start at the top of a slope with a Walker is that generally the hopper is empty or near empty and the machine is lighter and will hold the slope much better. At least thats how I do it and seems to work fine. Another caution someone mentioned about wet grass be extra careful on grass that has frost on it, man talk about slick. Thats one thing I hate about early spring and late fall yuck. Mow Ed do you have the rear tail wheel lock on your Walker, I keep wondering how those really work in the field.

Bob:D :D :D