Cutting in new edges and beds

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by show-n-go, Jul 19, 2013.

1. show-n-go

show-n-go LawnSite Member

Can I use a bed redifiner to cut in new edges? Or are they only good for recutting an existing edge. I just had a shed built and need to build beds down the side of it, what's the easiest method to get all the grass up so I can plant shrubs and mulch. till it? Or just dig it the old fashioned way.
    I am halfway looking for a good reason to buy a bed redifiner but only if it will help with this job.

2. Poopy Shoe

Poopy Shoe LawnSite Member

I have a McLane Trim-N-Edger. It makes very short work of cutting into a lawn. It's main use is edging along driveways and sidewalks. I highly recommend owning one.

3. Big Dog Diablo

Big Dog Diablo LawnSite Senior Member

If your talking about the Echo bed redefiner the the answer is no. They told me when I bought mine that it is for redefining only not creating a new one. thought maybe I will try it anyways to see what happens. Hope this helps.

4. 35DollarLawns

35DollarLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have owed a Echo bed redefiner for a year and a half.
    Buy it as a convertible unit as I did it has a lot of options then. It works fine, a little slower then the big machines but fine. How ever note the shield will clog in wet/ high moister soils early in the spring. Also the nice line it makes is not near as nice as a edging spade and grub hoe digging it out.

5. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

You will want to rent a sod cutter. I rented one yesterday for the three hour minimum but only needed it for 45 mins. Only cost the customer 66 bucks and saved me a day of digging.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]