1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting in or after the rain?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cclc1021, May 16, 2008.

1. cclc1021

cclc1021 LawnSite Member

This is my third season in business and I've always been curious on how other LCO's felt about cutting when the grass is wet. When I first started out I never cut like right after the rain or when it was drizzling outside. Then I noticed it was cutting in my profit so intstead of getting 4 cuts for that month it would only be 3. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
  2. SIWEL

SIWEL LawnSite Senior Member

i try to avoid rain but i have a lot of acreage in a cemetary to mow in 2 days... about 19 acres to give you the idea, but i do end up mowing in the rain because i simply run out of time during the week.
  3. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

we mow in the rain when we have to. cut 2 lawn in light rain today and thought that was it but it stoped raining and we kept going. as long as it does not hurt custmers lawn [ ruts ] then we mow.
  4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Once it becomes a steady rain then we stop. If the wipers on the truck need to be on to clear the windshield then we stop. We give it about 15 mins to stop, if it does not then we call it.

Once the streets and sidewalks start to dry we start cutting after it rains. Got to cut when you can no matter what. If that means using a walk behind instead of the zero turn then that is what we do.

5. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Either mow in the rain or possibly miss out on the revenue. As long as there is no lightening we cut. As a matter of fact we cut in drizzle or rain all day yesterday. That is the main reason I only run back pack blowers. You can still blow off the drives and walks with them during and after rain.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I will mow in the rain only if I have to, like trying to finish a lawn. I see no point in trying to mow IN the rain. Now as soon as it stops, depending on how much rain we had, I have to get back to work. The general rule most guys go by around here; once the concrete starts to dry it's time to get back to mowing. If we had an inch or more of rain though, it's tough. May have to juggle the schedule to hit ones that are known to not hold water or be too wet after the rain and bump those that turn into ponds till later.

NEVER do I totally skip a week because of rain! Leaving it for 2 weeks would be suicide on many lawns. If I get rained out a day, I spend 2 to 3 getting caught back up 100%. Rain always means hellish work hours, I hate it... I'm already working 10 to 12 hours a day when it's nice out. If it rains a couple days, arrggg!

Drizzle and heavy fog are the worst... I almost can't even work because in both the water droplets are so small they super saturate the grass and make it almost impossible to mow with any mower. Makes for very tiring days when we have that kind of weather. Of course the morning DEW isn't much better... It's a huge PITA too.
  7. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Been cutting in the rain all week. Wear a big poncho and look ridiculous. Mostly vacant properties so not many worries about cut quality, etc.

Today I cut 3 acres with a rented crappy DR walk behind bush hog, in the pouring rain. My legs were stained green through my pants.

Also, DR mowers suck.
  8. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

if its just a light drizzle i keep on mowing if its a steady rain then i wait until it stops then mow. you wont hurt the grass if you mow when its wet, just have to use a smaller mower.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

One thing that helps me is prioritizing my business services.

For this to work first I had to find WHAT service was the most important.
    Which one thing was it that I could not do without.
    For some it's irrigation systems or sod, for others it's installs or mulch, yet some it's trees or hedge trimming, power washing is another, some it's mowing, driveway sealing and gutter cleaning and then there are more still... Whatever, it's your business, decide WHICH of your service you can NOT live without.

Now for me that one service takes Priority One always!

That is, no matter what happens and what other kind of work comes around...
    Should it rain and I get so far behind and whatever...
    I always take care of Priority One service(s) first!

Once that's all caught up...
    Then I use the other stuff to fill in, get it done.
    I suppose one could prioritize these, but for me priority one was the most important step.

There are some drawbacks, it's not without any kind of loss either.
    But at least my priority one service suffers the least.

And in the absolute worst case scenario?
    Like if I lose a LOT in some big mess of what likes to come around...
    Chances are I still got most of my accounts that are based on the most important service.

That's just how I do it, can't win them all.
  10. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Green legs are all the rage. My boots haven't been dry in days.