1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting In the fall

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Homeworks, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Homeworks

Homeworks LawnSite Member

Just want to know what most of you do in the fall, with regards to the leaves from trees.
    Some yards can get quite messy.
    Do you cut right through and bag it?
    Or use a vac to suck it up?

And whats the going rate to do leave removal?
  2. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

On most I keep a reg schedule even if the grass is not growing I go over it. bag or mulch that way the leaves never get to thick.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

my particular residential market is largely rural.

I usually just pick up leaves for people one time and it's a job!

I blow them all. I blow them to the woods if I can. otherwise I blow them into large pile and mulch them down to dust with the WB.

depending on the situation I either bag the mulch or load it on the trailer in bulk.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i mow on my regular schedule until the grass stops growing. i will mulch the leaves up on some yards, and quickly blow the grassy areas off first on others. then i do two clean ups at each house after that to get all the leaves out.
  5. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

We keep our regular mowing schedule until we can no longer mow. When the leaves start falling we put the vacs on and remove the leaves on a weekly basis, there are only a few weeks that you have a very large amount. We blow the leaves out of the beds a couple times during the fall and on our final cleanup we start on the roof cleaning off leaves and sticks, clean the gutters and blow the beds out as well as any other accumulation of leaves. Then we do our final cleanup of the lawn. We charge for the extra time it takes on each property as compared to the regular mowing time. Peaple like the way the property's are left when we are done and we normally get their neighbors asking us to do thei lawn, when we do that we charge a straight hourly fee. All material that is generated is composted and used in our landscape installations.