Cutting in the rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harperservices, Jul 26, 2002.

?

Do you cut when grass is wet?

1. yes

30 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. no

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

I noticed some of my compitetion was cutting in the rain.

I tell my clients that it is not good for the grass and makes a mean mess.

What do you think.

I use wet weather for catch-up days

2. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

sometimes i cut in the rain, but i dont like to. it depends on how hard it is raining and how long its been raining for.

3. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I'd rather cut in the rain than in 100 degree temps. Keeps all the dust from sticking to me from sweating.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

man id cut n the rain for free ,if i knew it would rain ,long as i stayed out there.:)
    just a harmless day dream.

5. Rain:confused: :confused:

had to check the dictionary before I could vote

6. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

We'll mow in a light rain. But, forget about it if there is any lightning. It's not worth it. If it has been raining alot, we just get backed up. We know eventually it always dries up.

7. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

Rain or shine the show must go on. I do stop for lightning but when the lightning is done I am back at it.

8. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I won't touch my show yards if they are wet. As for some of my trashy yards, mainly rentals, I'd mow them in a snowstorm!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

9. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree with Lawns & Mower My highend jobs i will not touch if its wet now some of the ones that just don't care well i might do them depending on how hard its raining.

Steve

10. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Cannot justify mowing in the rain. Too risky! Tears up the lawn (putting ruts and ripping up the turf with turns).

Have not found a way to avoid putting big clumps of grass on the lawn while I'm cutting wet.

Considering that Florida is the lightning capital of the world, I will not be out in the open when lightning is working.

What I need is a radar screen in my truck! That will solve a number of problems!

Cordially,
    Sheppard