Cutting in the rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcs, Jan 13, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

I was just woundering if it hurts if you cut when it's raining?
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i dont think it really hurts the grass unless the ground is totally soaked. ive gotten caught mowing in the rain, but all it did was give a losy cut because the grass clumps up and the grass doesnt stripe as good.
  3. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

what about on equipment?
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

for me all it does is clog up underneath the deck and make a mess with grass on the trailer and mower.
  5. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

Keeping your blades real sharp will help. If the ground is soaked and the mower leaves ruts, don't mow.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I dont think it hurts the machine much,if you are sucking water up in the deck,it would be wise to grease all the bearings/fittings when done.My dixie chopper cuts as good wet as dry,no clumps at all,but it will plug up like every few minutes,unless i can find a deep puddle or low spot,drive over it and itll suck the water right out of the puddle and clean the deck,it does make a mess in the puddle though.
  7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not fun, but sometimes you just gotta do it. My 725 Grasshopper cuts just as well in the rain as in the dry. The sandy soil here in Central FL just seems to suck the water up unless I'm mowing a swale that's tempararily flooded. Just be careful of lightning.
  8. Tomslawncare1

Tomslawncare1 LawnSite Member

If you're in the middle of cutting a lawn and you get caught in the rain I would finish the job (no brainer). If it was raining heavily in the am before I went out I would think twice.Maybe do some maint. to equip and pray for sun. If its just misty I would mow. I don't think it hurts the grass. Clean the mower real good when done.
  9. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Cutting in the rain can and will hurt the grass that you are cutting. Cutting wet grass will make it harder for even sharp blades to make a good cut. In fact the blades will begin to tear at the grass and this is where alot of your problems can start from. This will promote the growth and spread of disease organisms.

[Edited by LoneStarLawn on 01-13-2001 at 11:50 PM]
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

PCS wrote:

<b><i>I was just woundering if it hurts if you cut when it's raining?</b></i>

I haven't noticed any pain when cutting in the rain but I do get a little uncomfortable when it's hot outside. :)