cutting in wet conditions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, May 7, 2003.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

A suggestion for those cutting damp high grass. Cut your rpm to about three fourths,and use a super sharp blade.
    This keeps my lazer from packing grass in the baffles. May not work for all decks but my lazer cuts cleaner and doesnt clump as bad with this method.this growing like crazy.

2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you using mulch kits, or side discharge? Just wondering.

What type of blades are you using, or have you found to work best as you have described?

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

On my Scag the only way not to clump when discharging in this growth is a regular lift blade on bottom and a gator up top. Singles of either= clump city. I turned my RPM up yesterday and the doubles work even better! Stock pulleys but more like 3800 RPM, much better. Throws clippings much better and farther. It does real good at 3 1/2" even in this spring growth. They do real good, but the deck packs up alot in this wet stuff. Just have to reach under there with your hand (engine off!) every couple lawns and scrape off the bulk of it.

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Every lawn if you don't want to spread disease, crabgrass, etc.

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Always before I do the nicer lawns, but I won't waste my time for the bad lawns... they all have the same junk in them. Usually I clean the deck real good when I sharpen blades and do the nice lawns first cleaning deck as needed then do the weedy lawns cleaning as needed.

6. contra

contra LawnSite Member

umm how do you change your rpms i have a lesco 36" belt with a 14 hp kawasaki

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I can't explain it. You'd be alot better off taking it to the dealer and having them do it.

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

My Exmark never packs grass in the baffles. Somehow the mulch kit keeps the deck clean. I can run discharge and have to scrape it. Yep, the grass is growing like crazy.

9. contra

contra LawnSite Member

i just discharged a yard yesterday when it was wet. it looked soooo bad, clumps were everywhere and even after a 3rd pass it still looked awful. i thought getting high lifts would help this, apparently not.

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I believe that the hi-lifts create more vacuum under the deck...thus creating more 'packing' of clippings to the decks surface. Once the weight of the clippings build up to the point of overcoming the vacuum's resistance (or you hit a bump...or disengage the blades) the 'packed' clippings then take a major 'dump'....usually exactly where you do not want them. :cry:

After much experimenting in wet conditions I have come to think that I get the best results with a low-lift, VERY SHARP, blade and running the engine at about 3/4 throttle. I also cut at a higher than usual setting too...to keep the clippings smaller.

I will NEVER, EVER again use Gators of any configuration (or any 'doubles' combination for that matter) in wet grass again either! The 'balls' of grass that were spit out were terrible!

I run a 60" Lazer Z...BTW.