Cutting lines other than stripes/diagonals

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TGM, Mar 23, 2007.

1. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

how many of you get creative and cut yards in different shapes (half moons, triangles, etc.)? have anyone's customer actually complained about it? i think it's cool to do something different every now and then...so long as the property doesn't wind up looking like a rainbow.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, some folks will complain, just be aware of it and what I do when someone says something is I realize they probably don't know any better but I just racetrack it from then on, it's the easy way out for me and it takes less time in my case so I don't care. You'll have to pay attention to the comments, more often than not a complaint about striping comes across as appearing to be something else, such as 'it doesnt look like my lawn was cut evenly / it looks like you missed several sections in rows' and other apparently weird comments, but I haven't had someone who is all about their yard's appearance complain yet but that's just me.

As for creativity, striping really is kinda like an art, some guys here do curvy designs, I myself do criss-cross patterns, up to you.
    It would appear it has to do with ability, in my case it's not that I don't like curves (I love them) but I can't seem to get my mower to do them right, I guess I must be straight line enabled lol.

In this picture, I had to pop a wheelie at the mulch bed and turn at the very edge with the deck overhanging the timbers to keep it straight, but I love a challenge so long it's straight lines, weird.

stripes2.jpg

3. TGM

TGM LawnSite Senior Member

i find it's easy to create curves with a walker on a healthy lawn. the first 2 or 3 lines i may have to adjust, but after that it's easy.

i'm just posing this question because my old boss gave me crap for doing an L shaped lawn in a C shape (about 3/4 of a circle). if i do a creative design, it's usually only on the front lawn. the rest i'll do stripes due to time.

4. F&SLawnCo

F&SLawnCo LawnSite Member

I have one customer that requests we do a USA in the front yard every july. We leave the lettering 3 inches taller than the rest of the yard. First time is a ***** but after that it's pretty simple. Extra 25 dollars per service.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

6. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

is that with the Warrior and if so, do you have any kind of striping attachment installed?

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The one in the picture was done with the Wb and usually I try and remember to load the kit or use the one with the chains (both my Wb's can hook the Chekmate kit, but one has a permanent homemade chain one which I think I'll put on the other one also), but the Warrior has no kit as of yet, all commercial mowers stripe fairly well even without, the kit does help thou.

You can usually tell, by the center stripe, that's the velke... Also, most yards are either / or, but not both because of deck width, it frustrates to try and follow a 48" with a 60" or vice versa, so I try not to alternate machines on yards (at least not between wb and Z).

The trick to the Wb, more so if you have a velke, is to turn off turf or at the very edge so the velke's center stripe doesn't swing in and out towards the end... I've heard comments talk about the 3rd stripe looking odd, but I find so long all 3 stripes are straight the entire length it looks ok, gives it a 'windowed' look along the criss-cross, almost like #'s or if you ignore the outer two, it's like a + in every square...

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah... I can get into some pretty intense patterns here and there.
    Breaks the boredom and the customers who like stripes seem to enjoy it.

I also do some different patterns other than straight lines on properties with layouts that take forever to lay straight stripes across.

9. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes I think following a contour can look pretty hot! Here's one of the lawns I maintain.

Picture_001700.jpg

10. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

got this from my mother in law's new house. it was the first cut of the season and the grass is not very well established yet as the house was just built late last fall in the middle of an old cow pasture. had to check and make sure I still had all the fillings in my teeth after I got through with it as this thing is like riding over railroad tracks!

media1.jpeg