Cutting Medians

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutterj, Jan 27, 2003.

1. cutterj

cutterj LawnSite Member

I was thinking about bidding on cutting the Medians and some municipal buildings in my city. I havent gotten any info on it yet but how do you guys normally bid. Do you base it on cutting every week, or every oher week? I have to cut most of my residentials weekly (sometimes thats not enough). Any help is a ppreciated, since this isn't much to go on yet.

2. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

got those same bid packs...... aint gonna happen slick. they ask about prior government and commercial work, only a select few in the area have this ie: torre, Kevin's, united and etc... are you looking at the pack for the medians or the m-59 median that runs 13 miles? look at the insurance requirements, and performance bond. you will have a bear trying to get an insurance company to write that with very little experience. remember all that glitters is not gold, remember what those medians looked like last july and august.. oh ya, p/m me i have some documents to send over to your address in the heights.. it's a subcontractor package so you can sell fert accounts.
    jonathan

3. cutterj

cutterj LawnSite Member

Ive just seen on he local channel about the bids. I haven't called for any info. Figured i would see what everyone here had to say. What your telling me means that these couple big companies can charge whatever they want then, because us little guys arent in the picture.

4. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

no, thats not it at all. it's political, they send them out so they can get away with the whole prior government work thing. no one makes money on these things... what would go for $60-$70 an acre is now a $15-$20 job.. trust me, i bid the city of warren parks last year. lowest way $115k up-to $750k i was in the middle @ $ 260 w/ a 10% discount for all park awarded. my best advice is stay away from sterling heights... get on the vendor list for warren, st. clair shores, rochester and troy.. try the macomb county purchasing dept.. it's in mt. clemens

5. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

cutterj chek your p/m's

6. cutterj

cutterj LawnSite Member

what do you need to do to get on the vendor list??? What exactly do i get from being on the list?

7. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

you go to purchasing and say:: i want to be on the vender list for lawn maintenance.. they send you invitation to bid packs..

8. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

Interesting. So you are saying that it is a good ole boy thing?

Why would you bid on these if you claim them to be lowball. Is it just an issue of keeping people busy?

What are some good things to look out for?

9. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

the guys around here have a surplus of people and equipment to maintain them. example, if it doesn't need to be cut they want 13 miles of medians picked up of all litter.. um, no thanks.. thats what convicts are for. sterling heights is by far the hardest to work for, try for eastpoint or roseville first. they seem to be a little easier to work with.
    p.s. if you don't see a requirement for a bid bond it's most likely not going to contract. they are simply feeling out what they are paying city workers.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Another important thing to remember about mowing medians is it is a great way to find all kinds of treasures and trash your equipment!

Gravely_Man