1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting my throat...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bastalker, Feb 26, 2003.

1. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Love this site!! I was in the local Exmark dealer the other day to buy some trip springs for the plow, and this older gent was there talkin to the dealer.(he was tryin to get info out of him) He just purchased a 48" Lazer Z. (a 48" Lazer Z?) and he happend to ask me if I was in the lawn care business. I happily replied "well yes I am." He in turn, without hesitation, replied "Im out to cut your throat":angry: He also stated that he had passed out millions of flyers and is looking to get $15.00 an hour so he can pick up 500,000 accounts from the million flyers he sent out.:laugh: that was a little over exaggerated..He then proceeded to ask me how much i charge:dizzy: I explained to him that his first statement to me would probably keep him from getting any information from me...but I gave in... I told him he was going in the right direction with the pricing, and good luck in his endeavors..Tear up them yards!! I know he bought a Lazer, but i dont think it will cut THAT fast!;) :drinkup:
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like that older gent mite learn a big lesson. If he realy wants to work his ***** off, send him my way. I could use some help at $15 hr and his own equipment. I can keep him busy. Hope his health holds up though.
  3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I hope this will prove that you don't need to be young in the Biss and be stupid too!
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Heh, what a schmuck. I love people like that. Those are the guys that get abused. You should have went off on him. I had a guy tell me he was going to steal all my accounts. He tried, I'll give him that. Told one customer I get $75. a cut that he would do it for $40.00. The customer called me and told him he laughed right in the guys face! Just to show you how loyal customers can be. payup
  5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Doesn't sound like he's out to make any friends. I'm sure he'll be around for the long haul (not).
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You should have offered to shake his hand. Then told him you wanted to shake the hand of the quickest business...To go out of business that is.
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I love to read things like this. It just lets me know that I am not the only one to run into the crazy people all of the time. Just laugh it off and don't let him get you down.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I'da just told him that $15/hr was real good money and you can stay real busy at that price.

and then I'da told him that I usually get about $60/hr. and for the same money at the end of the day I'd make the same money but only work one quarter the time!:eek:

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

$15 an hour wow. I bet he didn't have any overhead either. Should have ask him about his insurance and license.
  10. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

yea, I see guys like that all the time...spring time when the weather is nice and the thought, "Hey, I'll do lawn care"...:laugh:

When May or June comes along and those temps start climbing, 95% get out of the business...:blob2: