Cutting new sod

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2stroke, May 6, 2007.

1. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

have a bigger comercial job. they just had 40,000 sq. ft of sod put down. so after a couple of weeks when it needs to be mowed i have a question. im in western co. i use a 42" Walker bagging mower. will there be too much suction? other than that i only have a small push mower. any sugestions?

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Summer grass or cool season grass? For cool season grasses it should be so well rooted that there should be no problem with suction from your mower. Was the sod watered correctly? If so no problems should occur.

3. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

What u wanna do here is bend down just a little bit. You can get on your knees, but maybe lay down some paper or a towel so you don't get grass stains on your knees. Everybody hate grass stains on ur knees and the wife may wonder why you have stains on your knees when you get home.

Secondly take both hands and grab as much grass as possible. Once you have a good hold of the grass, gentle pull on it. If the grass comes up then you may wanna wait. However if it feels like it has taken root, then proceed to mowing.

I hope this helps, if not, keep reading more post, and I'm sure u'll find ur answer, u have a great week

4. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

the watreing did start out slow, but it is on track now.

5. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Is it at the one thrid rule if so you can cut it just go slow and watch how you turn

6. if you didn't lay down the towel, whats the best way to get the grass stains out, or do you buy new pants before the wife finds out ?