1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting new Sod

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jkkalbers, Oct 4, 2003.

How soon do you cut new sod?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2003.
  1. 2 weeks

2 vote(s)
  2. 3 weeks

2 vote(s)
  3. 4 weeks

2 vote(s)
  4. more than 4 weeks

0 vote(s)
  1. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

I did a search and found some info. but no real opinions. How soon after installation do you typically mow new sod? I usually wait at least three weeks, how about you guys, do you find it is better to wait 4 or 5 weeks? Like to hear thoughts. Also keep in mind I'm in Minnesota and it gets pretty cold here in the mornings now which will slow growth. thanks in advance for your opinions.
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I dunno, I hate cutting new sod and usually turn down the work.

3. At least in my end of the world, Most suppliers in their media, recommend the first cutting anywhere from 7 to 10 days.

Now if your using a 1000 pound mower, I sure as heck would wait a couple weeks.

Pacific sod is the biggest grower here in the west coast. The 7 to 10 day is on their site.
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

New sod lawns should be mowed as soon as needed, before blades exceed 3”. Use a sharp mower and never remove over 1/3 of the plant at one cutting. In normal growing weather, the first mowing would be 4 to 7 days after installation. Cut to a height of 1 ½ to 2”. :cool:
  5. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I beleive its when the grass height reaches 30-40% higher than the final cut. I usally wait 2 weeks.
    I had the fun job of laying 400 sqft this morning!:( I hate laying sod, Pays good but I hate it.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hey paul, isn't that kind of low and kind of soon for cool season grasses? Just wondering since I know you do a lot more of this work than we do???
  7. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

When ya can't lift the Sod.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

And I thought I was the only dummie that went around and tugged on it...LOL..to see if it was ready? Glad to see one of our "down under" members agrees:D
  9. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Yep thats the way rod.

It's a pretty logical way to see how its traveling
  10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

You should never remove over 1/3 of the blade regardless of new or old grass. New sod should be properly watered for the first week, and is essential. Properly watered sod (blue, rye, fescue... most popular in our area) should begin to take root within 5 days, and should be cut early.

Yes Rod, that is short. That was meant to be 2 1/2 - 3". That's what happens when you type too fast! :cool: