Cutting new sod

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GreenMonster, Jul 9, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Ok, just finished reading up for my first sod install tomorrow.

One question I can't find the answer to:

What tool do you guys use to cut last strip of sod that will be adjacent to existing curved bed?

2. GreenMonster

from NH

anybody???

I'm waiting to go to bed!:(

3. Ken Kesey

Ken Kesey LawnSite Member
    from Here

We use a round tip shovel and a hatchet to cut sod.

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

It may be a little late for you, but the best thing I've found to cut sod with is a steak knife. Buy a bunch of cheap ones at Wal-mart, the bigger the serrations, the longer they will last.

The other way is to flip over the sod (so it's "brown side up") and use a utility knife to cut the soil and roots. Just make sure it's a "quick change" knife and you have a lot of blades available!

You could also use an edging spade, but that takes longer than the steak knifes and isn't as easy....

Dan

5. bnl

bnl LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,
    This may be a dumb idea, haven't ever used this idea myself because I've just been using a spade and shovel too, but how would a sawzall or Dewalt reciprocating saw work? Maybe with a woodcutting blade?

6. Mats

Mats LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a Japanese sod cutter that looks like this - http://www.fine-tools.com/G309952.htm

7. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

I have a sod blade,( looks like a pizza cutter on a shovel handle) but never use it. Like Felix says, a utility knife makes easy quick work of shaping sod.

So tell us how your install went! Pics man, we want pics! :D

8. GreenMonster

from NH

Thanks guys. I didn't get any replies before the job, so I used a utility knife. Worked fine.

Now for the pics, KB.

I used to work with this guy who recently retired. He lost his wife to cancer last year (after a long battle), and the place has gone unmaintained for a few years. He's looking to spruce it up to put on the market. We redefined the beds, trimmed some shrubs, cleaned-out the center island planting bed, added perennials, and put down new sod. The area we sodded has been redone 3 times now in six years. Bad chipmunk problem behind wall.

All said and done, 2 days, 2 guys. I know someone will ask, so $3k total, about $750 in materials.

p1010008.jpg

9. GreenMonster

from NH

This is the center island

before...

p1010010.jpg

10. GreenMonster

from NH

Another before shot front of the house.

p1010011.jpg