1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting paver bricks?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Jackman, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

I am trying to get into Unilok pavers bought a plate tamper but not sure what to use to cut the bricks, I suppose a Demosaw would work but have also heard of a Geateen (sp) cutter and a diamond blade wet saw. What do you guys use. I appreciate your comments. Thanks Jack
  2. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

definately saw, don't split your bricks. The diamond blade is the only way to go. Wet is ok but not essential.

When we first started, we used a DeWalt chop saw with a diamond blade for several years, before we got a better saw.

Austreim landscaping
  3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Makita chop with a 8" diamond blade is all I have used for 2 years, same blade too.
  4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

You guys are using electric motor chop saws?

You talking about the kind that will take an abrasive disc for cutting metal?

I've always used a handheld gas with diamond blade. Kind of overkill, and a pain for bricks.
  5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Since you are not doing this full time yet, you will be best off with a 14" quick cut, such as a stihl or partner, or echo. There are many types. Put a diamond blade on it and your good for a couple of months with daily use. When you get a bit more serious about stone, you will be wise to purchase a target or other wet saw also with a 14" diamond blade. Forget the chop off saws they are way too slow, and there not really meant for this type of work.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u can rent a wet saw when needed
    i use a mk wet saw a huskvarna cut off saw with a wet diamond blade and a worm drive saw when needed
  7. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

gas powered saw, best what to cut. Its fast and easy. I have used other things to cut pavers and blocks but nothing cuts as smoothly as a saw.
  8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

stihl chop saw don't forget ear plugs and dust mask
  9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I forgot to tell you always cut your brick on a angel it makes it easier to nibble if you have to.
  10. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

It is very difficult to make a neat cut on a small paver with a gas hand held saw, as well as being unsafe. The electric chop saw with a diamond blade installed instead of the crabide will work very well for a starter setup. You can pay for a chop saw with just a few rentals of the wet saw.

Austreim landscaping