1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cutting pavers in a curved walkway

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by fall46, Sep 16, 2004.

1. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on cutting pavers when it involves curves... (paver walkway that curves) do people use handheld concrete saws or the traditional paver wet saw on a table........ thoughts suggestions methods?
  2. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

we use a handheld for 95% of our cuts. Does not matter if it is curved or not.

On curves we use the PVC pipe, makes it go 10X faster.

3. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

PVC pipe? Sorry rex, i'm slow & Ugly. What would you use pvc pipe other than for screeting or something?
  4. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

my question with the handheld concrete saw is how difficult will it be for someone who doesn't lay pavers for a living............I assume I would overlay pattern .....mark with sharpie.......hers's where it gets a little gray..... as iam over the line I would place my left foot against the side of the pavers to hold them in place and move down that line as I cut???? But do they jump around?? How dangerous is this method? and could a homeowner like myself pull it out? Rex I could see how this method saves a boat load of time....my only concern is never doing it before what the quality and safety issues will be
  5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I'm pretty, but slow & dumb. :D

I'm not sure what Rex is saying either :confused:
  6. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I use both but I find the wet saw is much easier in most apps
  7. Rex Mann

We overlay the field of pavers. Then, we take our 1/2-inch PVC pipe and and bend it to the same shape as we want the curve to be. Then, we take a sharpie and mark our line. Goes 10X faster then any other way we have tried.

Fall-I would not cut the pavers in place. It is not for the novice, unless it is a straight run.

8. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

lay down your paver restraint edging get a wet tile table saw mark each cut with soap stone and cut. lt took me cutting and a guy marking less than 2 hours to do all the cuts ona 375 square foot patio with all curved edges. it seems to work good for us but i will try the pvc method.
  9. Rex Mann

Thats the idea. We use the PVC because you can connect as many together as you need to. We always have 4 10-foot sections on job sites.

10. Ideal Lwns & Landscp

Ideal Lwns & Landscp LawnSite Member

rex mann.. is the cover of the anchor catalog some of your work?