Cutting Pavers with Circular Saw

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sniggly, Feb 4, 2005.

1. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Hey Yall.....:)

Any of you have experience cutting pavers using a 7 1/4 circular saw? I am doing it tommorrow because I didn't want to rent a saw. I purchased a Dewalt 7 inch diamond blade at Lowe's today. It was 40.00 dollars. Most expensive they had. The blade says something like 450x er something.

Anyway......that's what I'madoin. Got any advice?

2. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

That will work fine. All you have to do is score the pavers and then hit it with a masons hammer to break it in half.

3. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

The circular saw will work a few times, but you will burn it up after a while unless it is a heavy duty one. Not sure how big the job is, but a $40 blade won't last long. Most good blades are in the $100 range.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

What would it have cost to just rent something?

5. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

home depot rents saws i forget how much maybe 75.00 a day i think less. but they only rent big ones with stands.

6. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

You would have been better off adding the rental of saw in your bid,let the customor pay,after all it's his pavers! :p

7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I would agree about renting a saw. A wet saw would work so much easier and be a LOT less dusty.

Depending on the size of the pavers, I think you might have trouble holding them in place while cutting. Good luck with that, just make sure you don't cut your finger.

The 450x is probably meaning that it lasts 450 times longer than an abrasive blade. I bought a turbo blade (~$15) for my circular saw last summer, but I was cutting concrete masonry block with it. Good investment for what I was using it for, but if I needed to cut pavers, I would be looking at other things. I'm not saying it can't be done, but there are better tools to accomplish a cleaner, neater finish.

Dan

8. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

Today I made about 10 cuts with the 7" Dewalt blade I bought (on my Skil saw). It really was quite easy to do. Cuts are straight too. I am a woodworker so I made a small sacrificial jig to help hold the pavers. Only compaint is the dust....and my respirator takes care of that. All in all I am pleased.

Have about 20 more cuts to do tommorrow and all is done. I'll post some pics fer ya.

:blob3: :blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

9. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

next time price a rental on wet saw if it is a larger job and add into estimate and it will wipe right through it and make life easier.
    Good idea though for the circular saw if I am ever in a jam.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I don't do this type of work, but reading this thread just has me curious now, about how you know when you need a wet saw, and when you need a dry saw? Does it depend on WHAT you're cutting?
    Again, just curious.